Research conducted by the University of Mississippi in 2009 has shown that using fantasy-sports programs help improve grades and test scores. Statistics show that 56 percent of boys and 45 percent of girls said they learned math easier and 33 percent of boys and 28 percent of girls said their grades improved. Fantasy Sports and Mathematics, a curriculum founded by Daniel Flockhart for math students ranging from middle school through high school has come to find benefits of using Fantasy sports situations in the classroom that included but are not limited to the following:
- Can energize students who are otherwise less-than-motivated by traditional math.
- Leads to a student-centered environment rather than a teacher-led environment.
- Promotes autonomy they need to help build decision-making skills, thus contributing to their cognitive development.
- Facilitates the transition into the abstract world of Algebra.
- Based on real-world data.
- Students can follow their players on TV, in the newspapers or online; which results in a connection between math in the real-world and math at school.
- Inclusion of newspapers, graphing and technology addresses all learning styles.
You can read more about the research and the Fantasy Sports and Mathematics curriculum at http://www.fantasysportsmath.com
Students will be grouped and participate in a draft in order to choose their team that will be made from a specific NCAA Division I College Football Conference. The students will choose their teams after researching the stats of players in that conference from the previous year. Each week their team will go head-to-head with a team from the opposing conference. Prior to that week’s matchup, they will choose their strategy. After each week’s matchup, the students will calculate their team’s total points based on a given point system and a plot that as a value on a line graph that will be utilized throughout the trimester. Throughout the trimester students will be able to use the data to average their team’s statistics and compare them with other teams from their conference as well as the other conference. At the end of the trimester, there will be a winning team from each conference as well as a winning conference using the results from each head-to-head matchup.